Friday, April 22, 2011

The Journey to Our First Date...

First, I would just like to say thank you to all of you for your kind words and encouragement. I’m so glad you’re reading this. You brighten my day, and you’re precious and valuable. Hugs and kisses to you.

Now, on to the good stuff! (Pun intended.) 

It all started one day long ago. The date was actually July 18, 2010. During a plant transaction, our moms had a conversation about me and Bunny. They wondered why we never dated. Later that day, I got home and my mom came in and told me what was said. She said, “Why don’t you go talk to that guy at the furniture store? He’s nice. You should date him.” What I said next was probably, “Hmmph. Haha. Psssshh.” Then, I immediately posted the following on facebook:

“Confession: My mom just tried to hook me up with someone I went to school with. Um, no.”

A lot of people commented on it saying things like, “I’m sure he’s a nice boy,” “..if he’s a good dancer, bring it on,” and “Cleveland boys aren’t that bad.” But, the funny part was that Josh commented on it saying he empathized. At that moment, I thought, Is that just coincidental or does he really know what I mean? Then I thought, Oh no…our moms are both crazy! 

Then, I started thinking about it...Why hadn’t we dated? 

This is where I need to express something. A personal struggle that could be pertinent to the story. 

I had recently gotten out of a long-term relationship that was filled with drama. I promised myself I wouldn’t start seriously dating someone for at least a year. I had not been single in my adult life for very long…I needed this time for myself. I needed to spend time with friends and live my own life. I was also at a point in my life where I knew what I wanted in a boyfriend/potential husband, and I knew exactly what I didn’t want, that’s for sure. After a few months of being single, I started to feel discouraged. I had met a few different guys, but they weren’t what I wanted. I had these thoughts of, Why am I still single? What’s wrong with me? I’m young, childless, never been married, I have my own business, I’m fun, smart, borderline amazing….Why haven’t I met someone yet? Now, I realize that I’m young and have plenty of time, but these were just the thoughts I was having. It was a constant prayer for me…for God to give me patience, and I had to keep reminding myself that He will put someone in my life when I’m ready.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled programming.

I decided that I would put myself out there. In front of him. Literally. It was only fair. I mean, his face was splattered on a billboard everywhere I turned. There was even one on my street! I couldn’t get away from him. He was following me. So I went to the furniture store. Now, don’t judge me. I didn’t go to stalk him. I had actual furniture needs! Or maybe I didn’t, but still. Long story short, this went on for months and months. For instance, I first went shortly after the Mom incident, and he didn’t ask me out until February 24th. (Side note: Bunny, what took you so long??? Hehe. I kid.)  After many store visits, mild flirting, and me scoring some awesome photo props, we exchanged some facebook messages. I gave him my phone number and told him we should hang out one day. A few days later, he called. But, hold on, let me set the scene for you:

It was a Thursday. Around noon. I was getting ready for my first-ever massage. I had a gift card to Massage Envy that I had gotten almost a year before at Mom Prom. I was preparing for said massage by taking a bubble bath. While in the bathtub, my phone rings. It’s a number I don’t know. Now, I usually don’t answer the phone in the bathtub unless I know who it is and, you know, we cool. But, for some reason, I hit the answer button and instantly regret it when I realize who it was. It was Josh. Asking me if I wanted to go to lunch the next day. Something about meeting at the store at noon. I was in a daze. And in the bathtub. I hung up and immediately got nervous. What do I wear? What will we talk about? Where will we go? What if I have tummy trubs? What if he doesn’t like me? What if I trip and fall? These are all serious things that I considered. 

The next day we went to Pizza Hut (after I thought I would vomit from all the nerves). We talked about life, family, business…all very typical first date topics. I tell him of my love for Clay Walker and mention his upcoming rodeo performance. Later that day, he texts me and says that he’s getting rodeo tickets. 

At that moment, I knew that I had to keep this guy in my life. I knew he was something special. I knew that I needed to find something spectacular to wear to the rodeo. 

Thanks for reading!
Until next time…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for commenting on this little gem here! Be nice and have a good day!